Just Beet It! A Quick Healthy Recipe
A quick healthy recipe everyone will enjoy tonight
(From the World’s Healthiest Foods Connection within IQYOU!)
Beets don’t have to take a long time to cook. The fennel and yogurt in this recipe are a great complement to the flavor of beets making it a great addition to your Healthiest Way of Eating.
Beets with Fennel Yogurt Sauce
Prep and Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 4 small whole beets, cut into quarters
- ½ cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 TBS dijon mustard
- 3 medium cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 tsp fennel seed
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 TBS ground sunflower seeds
- 2 TBS olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- Fill the bottom of a steamer with 2 inches of water.
- While the water is coming to a boil, wash beets, leaving 2 inches of tap root and 1 inch of the stem on the beets. Cut beets into quarters. Do not peel.
- Steam covered for 15 minutes. Beets are cooked when you can easily insert a fork or the tip of a knife into the beet. Although some of their colorful phytonutrients are lost to the steaming water, there is plenty of color and nutrients left in the beets.
- While beets are cooking, press or chop garlic and let sit for 5 minutes to bring out their health-promoting properties.
- After garlic has sat for 5 minutes, put all sauce ingredients except olive oil in blender. While blending drizzle olive oil slowly to emulsify.
- Set beets aside to cool enough to handle.
- Peel, and cut beets into bite size pieces. Toss beets with dressing and serve.
Healthy Food Tip
Can you tell me about preparing and storing lentils?
Before cooking lentils you should spread them out on a light colored plate or cooking surface to check for, and remove, small stones or debris. After this process, we would recommend placing the lentils in a strainer, and rinse them thoroughly under cool running water to remove dirt and debris.
You can store dry, uncooked lentils in an airtight container in a cool, dry and dark place. Stored this way, they will keep for up to 12 months.
We’re enthused to match George Matlejon’s research, talents and the World’s Healthiest Foods content with IQYOU, the world’s most intelligent personal health tool. You can get your FREE access to see what George has dreamed-up to match your unique individual nutrient needs, Click Here>>